When I hear Italian, I don’t usually relate some of the spices included in this recipe, but let me tell you they make the mark in this dish! Italian taco rolls are a sort of spin on a dish a friend shared many years ago.
These rolls might easily be tagged an “egg roll” because they are rolled in an egg roll wrapper. And I’m sure it will taste the same no matter what the name. ha!
I prefer the egg roll wrapper, but you could also use the spring roll rice paper if you prefer. Whatever your choice, I’m sure you will enjoy them as something just a tad out of the ordinary.
Cream cheese… Melted cheddar cheese… Did I grab your attention yet?
The cheese mix and the blend of seasonings push these handy little rolls to the next level. Plus, they’re easily served as a heavy hors d’oeuvres or appetizer since they are managed easily when served in halves.
They can hold their own either solo or with an accompanying dip or sauce. We have served these with a creamy avocado dip, queso, or even a spicy sweet chile sauce. Truly, your imagination is the limit!
Don’t be intimidated, thinking these are a difficult dish you could never attempt to make. Go ahead, give it a try, no matter your skill level. These rolls really are much easier to make than you think!
You might say you’ve never worked with egg roll wrappers before and they look pretty messy and difficult. That is far from the truth with a couple handy tips:
- Don’t allow them to become moist at any time, until you dampen the edges to seal.
- They are easier to handle at a cool room temperature. They can crack easily if you try to handle them when they’re too cold.
Other than this, they truly are quite easy to work with.
Another important tip to remember is to be sure to dampen the edges to seal each roll completely. This will prevent leakage into the hot oil while cooking. It will only take one time to remember that one!
When you’ve mastered the roll, you’ll be anxious to try them with other fillings. As mentioned before, your imagination is the limit!
A few fillings we love are a home-smoked pulled pork BBQ. Man, you haven’t tasted an egg roll until you’ve tried that one! I get many requests for those! Another is a Philly cheesesteak filling. Of course, we can’t forget the traditional Asian flair with pork or chicken and cabbage and carrots.
So, there you have it. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Italian Taco Rolls
- 1½ lb ground beef
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 medium tomato chopped, drained
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t oregano flakes
- 1 t thyme
- 2 c canola oil approximate
- Brown ground beef in large skillet over medium heat, adding salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and thyme.
- Brown until no longer pink, and drain.
- Adjust burner to medium low.
- Return meat to skillet and add tomato, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese are melted.
- Remove from heat.
- While filling and rolling rolls, heat oil in a clean skillet or saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Fill wrappers one at a time, scooping approximately 2 large tablespoons of meat mixture in the center.
- Dampen edges of wrapper with fingertips dipped in water.
- Bring one corner of wrapper to the middle, covering the meat mixture and gently tuck snugly around the filling.
- Bring each side corner to the middle. Roll toward the remaining corner to seal completely.
- Add rolls, two or three at a time, to hot oil, turning once. Remove from heat and place on a platter lined with parchment paper or a paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
More Recipes and Frugal Tips You Might Enjoy: